Sunday, August 20, 2006

The Chicks of Dixie

Well as the last post said, I went to the Dixie Chick's concert last night. Now when I booked these tickets I knew of a couple of their songs and knew they had a new album out. And also that I love going to concerts so I just booked straight away! I had a friend from work, Teresa, come along with me - so I wasn't all on my lonesome.

They started off with a couple of tunes that I recognised and then went into some awesome tracks that I've never heard but were really good. The entire line-up of tracks was amazing, and they delivered it with energy and enthusiasm. The lead singer (Natalie Maines) made a couple of references to "the incident" a few years ago where they made an outspoken anti-Bush and Iraq remark, which resulted in them being shunned by radio and the media. One of her opening remarks was "Sorry we are a bit late - we just got back from kicking Bush's ass in Iraq".

All three seem to be incredible musicians, most memorable was a fiddle solo by Martie during one of the songs. All of this was just amplified by the massive, well polished backing band they had along with them.

At the end they thanked everyone with the expected "Thank You Winnipeg - Good Night", and the crowd went wild. The encore went on for at least 5 minutes with chants of "D I X I E C H I C K S" and whistling and screaming (it was a mostly female audience ). The Chicks came back on to do three more songs to end off the evening after what seemeed like an eternity.

Conclusion: Dixie Chicks in Concert - 10 thumbs up!

(P.S. If you are wondering where the pics are - we aren't allowed to take camera's into these events, so use your imagination - or do a search online for official press pictures)

1 comment:

Lucia said...

I saw them Friday night in Minneapolis and they were rockin' there as well.