Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Calgary watch out!

So Rick told me yesterday that I will be going to Calgary at the beginning of July for 3 or 4 weeks!! Great news, as I really thought it looked like a nice place; well, all that I could tell from my fly in fly out visit a couple of weeks ago!

I will be there during "Stampede Week", which apparently is something like the biggest outdoor exhibition in the world. Something like that anyways. Check out this website - I believe it has all the info. It is basically one week out of the year when the whole city just goes crazy, people wear jeans to work etc. They have rodeos going on, as well as "chuckwagon races" which I have been told I have to see to believe. These chuckwagon races have wagons being drawn by four horses and each wagon has four outriders. That constitutes one team - and four teams compete at the same time through an inital loading section to a circuit. Still not quite sure what all that means but that is my understanding.

They also have live music by well known artists going on the whole time there, which is awesome as I should be able to go to some concerts!

I am also excited as I will be able to see Jen (my friend from Zim) and meet her boyfriend, Adam, who I have heard so much about! So this promises to be a good time all in all - with a bit of work thrown in there !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great news - the Calgary Stampede is meant to be one of the highlights of the North American/Canadian calendar.
I was speaking to a woman yesterday who spent many years in Calgary, and she said it was always a superb week. She also said that the town itself is very scenic, with the Rockies close by. Do you think you'll be able to get up into the mountains at all? How about a bit of broken-leg antics on the slopes???
It'll be great if you manage to see a few concerts. Try to find the money to do as much as you can - it's not something you're going to be able to see every year!

Enjoy!
Love Mom & Dad