Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Ouma

I received news from Zimbabwe yesterday after lunch that my grandmother/Ouma had passed on. I know she has been really bad for a while, and to a certain extent I should have been prepared for it, but one never is prepared for that sort of news.

My parents had just gotten back from their holiday in South Africa, and my Ouma was still in Dandaro medical centre (which is like a medical centre for older people). My mom says she had visited with my Ouma already that morning for a long time, but something told her she should visit again in the evening. When she got there my Ouma was making a fuss with the nurses etc and her medication, so my mom told them to go and she would sort it. Once that was done my mom was going, and at the door, whem my Ouma called her in a very sweet and quiet voice asking if could just come and rub her feet for a little bit (My Ouma was in so much pain all over, esp. her feet). So as my mom was doing that, my Ouma stopped breathing.

I am so thankful that my mom was there at the last, and that my Ouma passed peacefully. That is always what I prayed for her, that she would pass peacefully when it was time.

My Ouma was an amazing person in so many different ways, not just as a grandmother for me. She was persistent and mostly successful in things that she put her mind to. She was loving and kind and had one of the most beautiful hearts I know. She was very loved, and I know will be missed sorely by more people that I think even she realised! I could go on about the times we spent together, but I think it will suffice to quote something I often wrote in cards to her; "Thank you for being the Best Ouma in The World".

Ouma, I know you are up in Heaven right now, and I just ask that you nudge God in the side and ask him to send just a little bit extra strength and understanding to my family right now.

I love you Ouma. Forever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey man, sorry about your gran. Chat soon.

Anonymous said...

thanks Geoff. U.T.

b4rk13 said...

Sorry to hear about your gran - must be especially tough being so far away and away from family. My thoughts are with you and your family during this time! Am on the other side of an email / Sametime if you need anything - even if it's just a chat!