Monday, July 11, 2005

Stampede weekend

Well this past weekend I spent in Calgary, and it was pretty good. On Friday the whole of the downtown area closes down and there is a parade which goes through the middle of the town with floats and everything. Actually pretty good, I was a bit skeptical initially as I did not think that just watching some floats go by would be worth the time!

Then I went to one of the malls with Jen and Adam (Jen's one of my friends from Zim and Adam is her other half). It was fun, they bought some roller blades and we jst had some fun going around the mall. We then went and watched "The Fantastic Four", as it was new on the circuit. I am not a movie critic and will not pretend to be one. Put it this way - it way entertaining enough that you can veg and watch it.

I went back to my hotel after that - and as I was getting out of the cab I saw some EY people from Winnipeg outside the hotel as well. They were here for training, and they invited me to join them for dinner, which I did and then I went out with them afterwards. A group of us went to the stampede grounds to the one stage and bar there called "Nashville North". It wasnt bad at all if you dont mind country music. Needless to say we had a number of beverages each and by about four in the morning we were ready to leave. On the way out some people stopped at one of the rides, which for some reason was still operating. So me, in my wise, brave state decided to go on the ride. It is basically a massive beam hinged in the middle with baskets on either side. At the top I would estimate that you are about 80ft up. All this "ride" basically does is spins you round at some massive Gs. I went on that and, surprisingly, was fine afterwards.

The next day was pretty much a recovery day as you can imagine. Yesterday, Sunday, I went out again with Jen, Adam and Randy (Randy is Jen & Adam's friend). We went to the stampede grouds and looked around and they went on some rides, and it was a pretty good time. After that we went back to Jen's appartment and watched a DVD - "the Life Aquatic" and it was pretty good, even though the first 20 minutes were very confusing and not all that compelling. (and here I was saying I am not a movie critic!!!)

My section at EY in Calgary are all visiting the Stampede today, just now actually, as a group. Should be fun, but not going to go on any rides or go overboard I dont think. We will have to see though!

No comments: