Monday, July 17, 2006

It continues... Saturday in San Fran

Well my flight from Winnipeg to Calgary ended up being 40 minutes late, so I arrived 5 minutes before boarding time in Calgary. I then had to literally run (like you see in the movies) from the arrivals gate to the US customs baggage claim, get through US Customs, drop my bag off, get through security check and to the departure gate. Amazingly I managed to do this, but I was running the entire time... It occurred to me when I got on the plane that the time between when I dropped my checked baggage in to the time when we took off was a bit too short for my bag to have made it, however I reconciled myself to the fact that my bag may be coming on the next flight. My suspicions were confirmed when we arrived in San Francisco, and I was informed it was on the next flight and would be delivered to my hotel.

We, and by "we" I refer to 3 of my colleagues from the Calgary office and myself, head straight downtown to our hotel, dropped everything off, and then went to the trams or "cable cars". We caught a cable car from the downtown "Market Street" station to "Fisherman's Wharf", i.e. from start to finish of the line. The entire experience was truly unique, being crammed into this little cabin, being joggled around as we went up and down all these hills, but altogether something that just *has* to be done in San Fran. Down in Fisherman's Wharf we just wandered around, and its a special sort of experience there, with the whole "docks" feeling, mixed with tourist-centric attractions, with lots of souvenir shops and restaurants. We ate dinner at a seafood restaurant at pier 39 (they have a number of piers all around the bay, all with specific numbers to identify them).We took a cable car on the way back and I got to hang on the outside of the car all the way, which really just made the entire experience.

We got back to the hotel at around 10:30pm, which is 12:30am Winnipeg time, so I was pretty beat, and ended up just going to front desk to check if my bag had been delivered or not; and it had not yet been delivered. I wrote it off to a mis-communication at the airport, and went straight to bed.

No comments: