Monday, July 17, 2006

San Fran - The Rock

Well I woke up late today, just coz I could! I noticed that I did not have any messages from the concierge service so I gave them a call - and still no bag. This was about when I started to lose my patience with Air Canada. I called their baggage claims department, going through machine message after machine message to get to speak to someone who advised me that it should be delivered soon. Unconvinced I wandered out to go and buy some clothes, and I bought a couple of things, went back to my hotel and called Angie (one of my friends from Calgary) and met up with her for lunch (the other two were watching the SF Giants play - and although it would maybe have been nice to go, it really is not my sport, and I would not have appreciated it enough for the price of a ticket.

We mucked around downtown for the afternoon and then met up with Kelly to head back down to Fisherman's Wharf, which is where you catch a ferry to Alcatraz Island or "The Rock". Its a great ride out to the island and you get some amazing views of San Francisco City. When you got close to the island it just has that ominous, imposing feeling. We were divided into groups of about 60 for the walk up to the cell blocks, and we were told some interesting tidbits about Alcatraz (or "Pelican Island" as its name means). We then were given headsets and were guided through an audio tour of the cellblock with tons of amazing and interesting stories. I actually went into one of the cells in isolation, and it was incredible - complete pitch black - I am really not surprised people went completely crazy in places like that. We then went for a short video documentary about Alcatraz, which was very interesting. We then meandered around for a bit before jumping back on the ferry to head ashore. Just a note for anyone visiting San Fran/Alcatraz - be prepared, it gets rather nippy at night and you will likely need a jacket or something to keep you warm.

We caught a cab back to the hotel, and I got back to my room to find - no bag and no message. I checked with front desk and still no word of my bag. It is now beyond a joke so I phoned the Claims department to be told that they still have it marked as "in transit" between Calgary and San Francisco. While restraining myself I asked what I was meant to be wearing tomorrow as I have training and need to dress accordingly. I was then told they would compensate me up to $50, at which I laughed coz this morning I had bought a couple of t-shirts and a shirt which cost $50!! So the assistant let me know that he could let me have $100, as if that was a *big* favour - but they have not delivered my bag more than a day and a half later - c'mon guys lets get serious! So none-the-less I'm going to go shopping tomorrow and buy some stuff (I have to furnish them with reciepts).

Its only about 10pm now, but its been a busy couple of days so I am going to sign off now, and I'll provide further updates soon! (I'll also try put some pics up here to see once I get a chance).

1 comment:

The Phantom Hack said...

As usual, you have way more adventures than the average person.
While I was reading the comment about how it was cold at night. Reminds me of a comment accredited to Mark Twain, who allegedly stated 'the worst winter I ever experienced was summer in San Francisco'