Saturday, July 29, 2006

San Fran Pics

These are a couple of sea lions just chilling down by Pier 39. Apparently this is a common sight, and something to see down at Fisherman's Wharf in San Fran. They started coming into the docs after an earthquake back in 1989 and have been a tourist attraction since.

This is a picture of a schooner in the harbour down at Fisherman's Wharf. I am not entirely sure of the details behind it, but I thought it was an awesome picture. Directly behind me in this picture is Ghirardelli Square, named after the world famous Ghirardelli Chocolate. There is a massive sign by the square which I found out later is clearly visible from off shore at night. Impressive!
This is me as we are heading down the road on Alcatraz island. That's part of the city in the background. It must have been terrible being in Alcatraz when the mainland, and freedom is so tempting and just out of reach across the Bay. Yeah I know I am terrible at posing for photos! No comments from the peanut gallery (Unless they are really humourous - keep it clean).

This is a really nice pic of the Golden Gate Bridge in the distance in the fog. This was snapped out the window of a moving cab, I was surprised at how well it came out!

Yep... me in another cheesy pose at the Golden Gate Bridge - I got one of the guys in my group to take the pic, and he cropped off the top of the first tower on the bridge... sheesh - we just can't get the staff these days!

This is a view of the dock at Alcatraz. Rather imposing at dusk, especially with the birds circling and everything a little dark. Actually really glad I did Alcatraz in the end - I wasn't gonna bother in the beginning! (All the rest of the pics from this series were really blurred coz it was getting too dark, and I was on a boat so it just didn't work!)

This is a panoramic pic of Alcatraz in the Bay. Same program on the computer (rather impressed at distance panoramas with it) The fog which you can see here is just amazing. Apparently its really bad in San Fran specifically is because the hotness of the desert draws it in from the Pacific ocean, and as San Fran is a low point it all gets funneled through the bay.

This is a pic of the Transamerica pyramid. Its a very distinct building, as can be seen, and its visible from a lot of the city, therefore had to take a pic of it!

For a lot more pics of my trip (not all of them though - you'll have to email me for those) click onto my Photobucket account.

1 comment:

Hannah D said...

Wow, beautiful pics. Looks like a great vacation.